Friday, August 26, 2016

Buried Treasures: Mattel's Secret Wars Bad Guys!


Doug: Hey, friends. We're finishing a 2-part look at the back panels from Mattel's Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars action figure line, on sale way back in 1984 and 1985. There were two series sold in the United States, and a third wave sold in Europe that featured Electro, the Constrictor, and Iceman. While I never had those, I did have the 13 figures that were available domestically. I say it past tense, as I sold them last week!

Last week we looked at some Handbook entries and 4-panel comic strips from the heroes' packaging. Today, it's Bring on the Bad Guys! And be sure to check the bottom line on Magneto's card. Say what?








6 comments:

William Preston said...

Doom with just a cowl looks strange. And there's no fabric draping the chest, either (so we see, what, circuitry on the chest plate?).

Redartz said...

Those are ( were) mighty cool, Doug! Had I been younger in '84 I'd have been all over them. Especially Dr. Octopus, who topped my villain list as a youth. Those figures make a nice halfway point between the comparatively simple Mego figures and today's high Def resin figurines.

And per your comment- yes, exactly what does the Master of Magnetism need with a laser pistol?

Doug said...

I agree, William -- Doom looks weird.

The Doc Ock and Hobgoblin figures were by far the best in the lot. Falcon was a nice figure, too.

Articulation was virtually non-existent. Figures were jointed only at the neck, shoulders, and hips. As a contrast, when Marvel Legends first came out, those had over 30 points of articulation!

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Doug

Martinex1 said...

I kind of like Doom without the tunic and cape. Magneto however looks a little off without his cape to me. Do we know who drew those panels?

Doug said...

Sadly, Martinex, "no".

I asked Scott Edelman last week before I ran the first post, but he said Secret Wars was around three years after he'd left Marvel. But he assured me that if he'd still been there, it was a project he'd definitely have had a hand in.

Doug

Doug said...

I just put out a request for info./retweeting on Twitter. We'll see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Doug

Related Posts with Thumbnails