Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Rock and Roll National Anthem

Doug: The Stones' "It's Only Rock and Roll" came on the iPod last week and got me to thinking of songs that are like anthems to rock music. That made me recall the Unplugged episode that featured KISS and Paul Stanley's introduction of "Rock and Roll All Night" as the national anthem of rock and roll. Bravado, yes... but just what would be an able "national anthem" to this genre? What's that one song that you'd just turn up and say, yeah -- this is what rock music is all about? Now for our purposes, I'm going to hold you to one criteria: the song's title must have "rock" or "rock and roll" in it. Some nominees (and I know you have plenty of others for our consideration)?
  • It's Only Rock and Roll by the Rolling Stones
  • Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin
  • For Those About to Rock by AC/DC
  • Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley and the Comets
  • Rock, Rock Till You Drop by Def Leppard
  • Rock and Roll All Night by KISS
  • You Can Still Rock in America by Night Ranger
  • I Love Rock 'n' Roll by Joan Jett and the Black Hearts

8 comments:

Redartz said...

May I suggest also, "Rock This Town" by the Stray Cats? A fine example, this was. of Rock's new blood in the 80's...

dogspunk said...

"Long Live Rock" by the Who

starfoxxx said...

Bowie's Rock and Roll Suicide.

I read BOWIE, a nice biography, and I just started David Bowie:Starman, and it's very good so far. I've filled my summer reading with rock and roll biographies, since the only comics I'm reading are LOSH, Adventure, Heroes4Hire, and Avengers Academy.

Anonymous said...

A worthy list, but may I add Old Time Rock and Roll, by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, for consideration?

Darpy

Fred W. Hill said...

I'll second the Who's "Long Live Rock" -- it's my favorite anthemic song with the word "rock" in it. For giggles, I'll nominate Tim Curry's "I Do the Rock" for 2nd place. The Clash's "Rock the Casbah" is another great one for consideration -- a protest song about fanatical Islamic bans on all music, not to mention pretty much every other form of self-expression. (Imagines twisting the volume up to 11 just to piss off the religious-police, then going into hiding to avoid having my head chopped off!)

Karen said...

How about Rock and Roll High School by the Ramones?

Inkstained Wretch said...

Howzabout "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A." by John Cougar Mellencamp?

Joseph said...

I will add a third vote for "Long Live Rock" by The Who.

Another one I loved growing up was "Long Live Rock & Roll" by Rainbow (sung by one legendary Ronnie James Dio)

Related Posts with Thumbnails